Thursday, July 19, 2012

Why arts education is important

People ask me all of the time about the differences in being a band director and a math teacher. My answers usually have two common threads. People treat me with much more respect and assume that I am much smarter now that I'm a math teacher, not a band director; and I work a lot less as a math teacher than I ever did as a band director. Most people are also surprised by these answers, but they are the truth, at least for me.

But the main thing that is true for me as a math teacher is that I no longer have to justify what I teach as being important; everyone thinks math is an essential, but few people truly feel that music education is critical to having a good school. Oh, yes, every administrator I've ever had has told me how important music is, but when it comes right down to it, music and other arts programs are the first to be cut when school budgets fall on hard times. My wife, who teaches instrumental music, is facing this issue yet again in our current school. That's why she's pursuing a degree to become a certified school counselor - she's had enough of having to constantly defend what she does as an educator. She's damn good at what she does, by the way...

That's why I found this video posted on Edutopia to be a refreshing breath of air. The music educators on the video explain the importance of music in their students' lives. The big buzz in education these days is "social constructivism", and I can say that a band rehearsal (or any performing ensemble rehearsal, for that matter) is nothing but non-stop social constructivism in action. So I was doing what the experts' consensus of "best practice" in education currently is way back in 1985, and ensemble conductors and teachers were practicing it for decades before that.

I could go on for quite some length here and bore you with my harangue on advocacy for music and arts education. Watch the video instead.



4 comments:

  1. It's really too bad that the arts are usually the first to be looked at when cuts are needed. While I can't argue that band is more important than math, it is important none-the-less. I read an article on Science Daily supporting that music classes help children develop other cognitive skills. In the big picture, I do believe that music and art classes have a place in our schools.

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090316075843.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kids did such a good job on their song and video! Really cool video thanks for sharing. I agree that classes other than the core are important. I also teach physical education and people think that it is just rolling out a ball and having kids shoot baskets for a year. I have a curriculum that I go through where I teach sports and important concepts like cooperation and sportsmanship. I have seen students that struggle in the regular classroom excel in sports. I have seen other kids work through problems, like picking a leader for a team. It is not only about being physically active.

    Math is also important, but rarely gets students passionate about the subject. Music is a great form of expression and can be tied to many emotions. Good luck to your wife, I know it can be frustrating.


    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it is sad that we have to place a value on education. By this I mean we have to tell the students that the school or district do not see art or gym as important, when really it is just as important as math and science. Every course or subject teaches the students different skills and every subject should be taught. We all know that this is not going to happen as long as their is money involve with test results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post is very interesting information about related topic is awesome. I was finding this type of information from long time. I think you should going on to make this type of blog.


    Thanks for this informative post , keep Sharing like this ! Web Design

    ReplyDelete