The researchers identified what "high quality" professional development entails, and the list reproduced in the article is very interesting. One of the items on the list that stood out for me was that effective technology PD begins with learning and content goals, and effective teaching methods, and not with technology. So what I'm reading over and over is that using technology in education is way more effective if it is accompanied by appropriate support, training, and professional development.
Reiterating what I've posted previously: schools can have all the latest, coolest technology, lots of toys and gadgets for teachers students to use and experiment with, and state-of-the-art hardware and software - but without showing teachers how to effectively utilize all of that amazing technology, it's not going to be nearly as cool as it could be.
Hi Bob!
ReplyDeleteThis is so true and hits close to home. We actually have some pretty cool technology in our district, but I feel it is under utilized because so few teachers understand how to use it. We once had a whole PD day dedicated to learning and then practicing some of these tools. What I saw was the teachers who were interested digging right in, and those who were not interested getting frustrated and giving up. It is so hard to get everyone on board!