Monday, July 2, 2012

Is "BYOD" ok during your class?

NYU Professor Mary Quigly brings up several thought-provoking issues in her article Digital Generation Gap from the Huffington Post technology page.

In the article, Quigly cites recent research stating that the "under-30 GenY crowd" "...sees digital connectivity as a basic right", and that they assume that BYOD (bring your own device) is welcomed both in the classroom and the workplace. GenY goes online whenever and however they want, and many do not see the problem of doing so during such inappropriate times as homicide trial testimony and university journalism seminars - two of the examples cited in the article.

Now, while Ms. Quigly is writing more about university students and people in the business world, I face the same sorts of issues with my middle and high school students. Virtually all of my students come to my class every day with their own devices. I use  digital textbooks in my classes, and many of my students find it easier to read the book from their laptops or tablets than by looking at the projected image in my classroom. But during the time in class when we're not using the textbook, the computers are still up and open on their desks. And while in some classes the students might be taking notes on their computers, it's not possible for them to work math problems without picking up a pencil.

I also know beyond the shadow of a doubt that there are times when my students are surfing the net, e-mailing, or playing video games during my class; I know because I've caught them doing it. This results in my taking their device and holding it hostage for the rest of the school day. When the guilty kids protest that they need the device for another class, I tell them they should have thought about that before they used it inappropriately during my class.

But then there are other times in class when I will make some statement, and half the students start furiously typing away. It took me a while to realize they were going online to look up more information about what I'd just said. This frequently leads to more in-depth discussion, and the students are enriching what I am teaching on their own initiative. So while it vaguely bothers me that they are online while I'm teaching, there are those times where the students' connectivity is an asset to the lesson.

Which brings us back to the conclusion of Quigly's article: where do we draw the line on BYOD, and having students connected during class? I'm all for students using all the available technology during my classes, but I also don't want to play the role of Internet policeman and being forced to monitor their device use when I should be teaching. It's a tricky question, and one we will have to face as connectivity becomes more and more accessible to our students.

2 comments:

  1. Bob,
    I agree that having technology available for class can be a great opportunity for students, if it is used appropriately. I feel loke a lot of teachers spend so much time taking devices away and reminding them that they shouldn't have them in class. They are always frustrated because they would rather focus on other aspects of the class, but it can be such a distraction. I can't imagine being a college professor now because a lot of students have laptops and you don't know if they are checking their facebook or something else. It can be compared to students that I went to school with were doodling or writing notes to friends. I like hearing how your students were using it to learn.

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,

    The question of where to draw the line with individual technology in the class is a question I believe all teachers are searching for in their classrooms. I always think about this question and I resort to thinking in college there was not a professor that looked at what was on my screen while he/she was talking and did that mean I wasn’t paying attention (Of course not!)? The younger generations may feel a right to technology, but they have also learned how to multitask with technology better than many older adults. For example, just the other day I was driving and hooking up my Ipod, skipping songs, etc. on my way to Wisconsin (something I probably should not have been doing), but my dad commented on how he was amazed at everything I could do in the car and never swerve, even once. He told me I was a better driver than him, and he is a truck driver.

    ReplyDelete