Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Do our students rely too much on technology?

In his article "Pros and cons of digital devices in the hands of young students" posted by K. Walsh on emergingedtech.com,  author Daniel Kimble discusses how the pervasive use of digital devices is impacting young people.

The article raises some good points, but does not really go into detail in explaining or defending a particular point of view; it's difficult to tell where the author stands on the issue. I guess that's a good thing, as it seems Kimble is really trying to identify an topic for debate and discussion. The pros and cons he lists do not attempt to answer the question of whether or not young students should have such ubiquitous access to iPads, laptops, smart phones, etc., but his list is a good starting point for further discussion.

The article raises some interesting questions, and I had to stop and really think about where I stand on the issue. It's a tough question to answer, and I think that we as educators will continue to grapple with this issue as the use of technology by our students continues to increase, and to is happening at younger and younger ages.

3 comments:

  1. Those were some interesting points. It is kind of crazy the way technology can increase socialization so much, while decreasing it at the same time. I know I sometimes have to make a conscious effort to put my phone down and socialize with the friends I am actually with at the time. Have you seen the commercial (I think it's for a car) where the girl thinks her parents are so lame and antisocial because they only have 19 facebook friends, while she has hundreds; yet her parents are out biking a nature trail with a few close friends and she's at home on her computer? I guess for all of it you just have to maintain a good balance. Also, I just try not to think about radiation and all those possible health risks.

    -Kaitlyn McMahan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlyn the commercial was a great example of our society today. I found myself over using Facebook like many other people. I was addicted to Farmville when it first came out. As it consumed more and more time, I began thinking why am I fake farming on an 80 degree summer day? I am somebody who loves being outdoors and hanging out with friends.

    Socialization has changed so much over the years. I try to remember that the people I am with are the ones that matter at the time and I usually do not answer my phone or look at it very often when I am out with friends or at family gatherings.

    Technology is great and very useful, but I try to remember it is a tool in my life I benefit from and it is not my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technology can play an important part in our lives. Technology is a great resource to learn from. At the same time, it sometimes can hurt you as well. For example, the use of calculators for math can decrease the user's ability to do simple math computation.

    ReplyDelete